Ramblings from a former Alaskan

The occasional ramblings, thoughts, rants, etc., from an independent who has lived all over the country.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Subject lines are stupid

It's hard enough trying to figure out what to put in a blog, but trying to come up with a nice meaningful subject line or title is impossible.

The last week. Oh. My. God. I barely remember last weekend. Part of it was because I had one day off. Then I started the week from hell. It's over. Yes.

Monday and part of Tuesday were rainy and very windy. Am I positive the weather pattern held all those hours without letting up? Uh, yeah. Especially Monday night, Tuesday morning before 7 a.m. How can I be so sure? Because I spent a lot of time going from the apartment to the hospital since I was on call.

Let me back up, during the day, the rain and wind were so bad, plus it was a full moon, which meant high tides. They were worried about roads flooding with the high tides. If the roads did flood it was temporary.

The hospital is six miles from town, so when the weather gets horrible and the roads are closed patients can't get to us. Patients were getting to us late at night, so if they did flood, they were okay later in the night.

This week I asked why the hospital was six miles from town. The original hospital was at this site. In the early 1900s during the influenzia outbreak, half the village died. They moved the village of Naknek to another location, but kept the hospital here. So...if I understand things correctly, Dillingham isn't the reason for the hospital, but the village of Naknek and the hospital at one time co-existed at this location.

I know this is boring. The events haven't been that boring around here though, but I've spent almost all of this past week working and what goes on there, can't go into a blog.

It's my one day off before starting all over tomorrow, so I don't have time to really focus on the world outside the hospital either. I haven't seen much of that.

From Dillingham...Jody

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home