Ramblings from a former Alaskan

The occasional ramblings, thoughts, rants, etc., from an independent who has lived all over the country.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Global Warming?

I think I'm one of the last to jump on the global warming bandwagon.

Can you blame me? After all, the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula is considered the banana belt of Alaska. Or at least one of them. It doesn't get too cold, or when it does, it doesn't stay that way for long. Why should I worry about global warming? The weather suited me. I enjoyed it. Sweatshirt weather almost year round.

Okay, I'm not on the Kenai Peninsula right now. I'm in South West Alaska.

Please, I'll take a dose of global warming right now. It's one degree with a windchill of -20. Earlier today the warmest I saw was a balmy 5 degrees with a windchill of -16. Hell, yes, we'd like some global warming. Please. Pretty please.

Seriously, I have a short walk from work to my apartment. I don't know how I'll make it home tonight. It's that cold. I'll make it, but not without enduring some pain.

Dillingham? What do I think about it now?

In some ways, it's nothing like Homer. In other ways, it has more than Homer offers. Weird I know, but there are things here that I wish we had in Homer. Both grocery stores offer a lot more than groceries. Yes, I can buy underwear in Dillingham, Alaska. What the hell is wrong with Homer?

I can even shop for affordable clothes in Dillingham. I can find good clothes on sale. What a concept. Clothes that actually fit. Honestly, AC Commercial and N&N Market provide necessary things for the citizens in a way that Ulmers, Save U More and Safeway will never grasp. If any of those three ever had there wouldn't have ever been a need to entertain the thought of a Freddie's. Why can Dillingham provide affordable clothing and Homer, on the road system, can't or won't?

Yeah, it's cold in Dillingham. I see it's cold in Homer. I'm ready to come back to Homer, but I'll be ready to come back to Dillingham, too. It's a great spot. Both places are. Both have their flaws. Both have their high points.

I'm not ready to leave either place for good. The one thing they share, the people. Both places have great people. Which is why I hope I get to keep coming back to Dillingham for a long time to come. And why I won't stay in Dillingham permanently...the people in Homer keep calling me home.

Sorry I don't blog much. Work has kept me busy. Life has kept me busy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home