Ramblings from a former Alaskan

The occasional ramblings, thoughts, rants, etc., from an independent who has lived all over the country.

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Changes

Life is full of changes.

I have found what most important to me in life.

Family and friends.

Over the last two years, Roger and I have both lost our two closest friends in Alaska. They died, so they won't be back.

This summer the last of our family will move away from Alaska. Those two grandkids mean the world to me. Not to mention I have another grandson that I barely know. I want to get to know him.

Our kids and grandkids won't be back.

Alaska is wonderful place to live and raise a family. I can't think of any other spot in the world where I'd want to raise kids. I'd hoped my kids would have the chance to raise their kids here, too. For various reasons, they don't.

Roger and I have a lot of acquaintances up here. We appreciate each and every one of them.

But close friends and family are far and few in between up here.

Another thing that we've thought about is the fact we own a very expensive chunk of land. Yet we live paycheck to paycheck. It's time to sell the expensive chunk of land and move on.

We don't know how quickly or slowly things will happen, but we're going to leave Alaska. We're going back to an area where we can be around family and friends. And yes, a place where our cost of living will be reduced.

We've found one spot that we both like. The location is a nice location and while it doesn't have the beauty of Alaska, it has its own beauty.

Over the next few months, this blog will be hit and miss. And one of these days, I guess I'll have to change the name since the ramblings won't be from Alaska. Or maybe I'll keep it with the understanding that it will still be ramblings from an Alaskan. You can take the girl out of Alaska, but you'll never take the Alaskan out of the girl. As many who knew me before I ever lived here, I was Alaskan long before I ever stepped foot on Alaskan soil.

Part of me is sad to think of leaving, but another part of me is looking forward to a new adventure. Not to mention fresh fruits and vegetables.

5 Comments:

At 11:52 PM , Blogger Marilyn Z. Tomlins said...

You must have been doing some soul searching, but congratulations, you've made your decision. Wherever you will be off to, I am sure you'll come to love that place too. And as you say you will be near relatives and friends.
Marilyn

 
At 2:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

As strange as it sounds, there wasn't a lot of soul searching. It was almost like all of a sudden this very foreign concept of leaving felt like the right thing to do.

If we could have the same lifestyle up here that we can have down south, we'd stay in a heartbeat. But we can't.

Nor can we be surrounded by family and friends up here. It's pretty much a no brainer.

Jody

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger Jo said...

I have always wanted to visit Alaska, it would have been nice to know someone if I ever get there, but I don't hold out much hope of making it. Have you decided where you are moving to? It really will be a radical change for you. Hope it all works out well.

 
At 7:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

We have one spot that is very appealing to us, but no, we're not positive that we've picked the exact spot yet.

Jody

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger Silly Yak Tales said...

Just when I had spent my time thinking that land had to be cheap up there. I mean where I am is bad enough but up there where it is not only cold but dark for six months, now way. There would be dead people everywhere if I lived there.

The best thing about there for me would be Reindeer and Polar Bears and other such creatures.

Run away and be warm.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home