Ramblings from a former Alaskan

The occasional ramblings, thoughts, rants, etc., from an independent who has lived all over the country.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving in Dillingham

I've worried about this day for months. How would we face it? Would it be a horrible day? Or one that we tolerated, or would it be special?

Why did I put so much pressure on a holiday? This is the first Thanksgiving since 1998 without our dear friend Barbara. She passed away last summer and this is the time of year when we spent a lot of time together. In the summers we were always so busy, but the fall and winter were our time.

Part of my desire to come over to Dillingham was to change things in our lives. We needed to get out of our Homer routine this first year without Barbara. This first year of birthdays, anniversaries, holidays.

On a whim the other day when we were out shopping for groceries, I bought enough stuff to make clam dip. It was something Barbara made for special events. My version will never be as good as her version, but we were invited to spend Thanksgiving with a local family. Most of us in the lab were there.

It appears they liked the clam dip. I didn't need it for me. But it was my way of making sure her memory stays alive. Her traditions remain with us. The best way to share Barbara with the world is to share some of her best dishes with new friends.

There is so much to be thankful for this year. I'm thankful for my time in Dillingham. I'm thankful for the job over here. I'm thankful for my kids, grandkids, husband and even our dogs who bark way too much. I'm grateful that I've been approved to come back for another stint.

I'm extremely grateful for global warming. I can only imagine what this week would have been like if it weren't for global warming. I'm sure instead of minus 15 we'd be experiencing minus 45. After starting the day at minus 17 it warmed all the way up to zero about an hour ago. If it weren't for global warming, I believe the temps would be too stinkin' cold for me.

Tonight and over the next few days, I'll share some pictures I've taken in the last two days.

For the first time in my life, I had Eskimo ice cream. It's really good. I have a picture of it that I'll post.

I have plenty of pictures of the global warming that has hit Dillingham.

Over the next few months, I'll have to make some life changing decisions. But before I have to make a choice, I'm going to enjoy all that's here and also back in Homer.

Sorry for being so slack about posting, but I've been busy.

Jody

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home