Ramblings from a former Alaskan

The occasional ramblings, thoughts, rants, etc., from an independent who has lived all over the country.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Holy Bear Scat


Around 0230, this morning, when it was very dark outside, I stepped out to enjoy a smoke.

This is what I discovered. But remember, it was VERY DARK when I first saw this.

I inhaled very quickly. So much for a relaxing smoke.

Once inside, I mentioned to the nurses in ER there was trash scattered about. "Oh, yeah," one said, "there was a bear out there about thirty minutes ago."

Ya think?



I took these pictures a little after 0600 when I finished my shift. It was much lighter at that time.

Just a reminder. This is the hospital in the third largest city in Alaska.

But wait. The bear was curious.

He decided to explore another trash can. The first one is by the main entrance. The second on is outside the gift shop.



The bear has answered two questions. Is smoking hazardous to your health? Well, in Alaska, in the middle of the night, if one smokes outside, yes.

The other age old question: Does a bear shit in the woods?

Not always. Sometimes they'll leave a pile of scat on the sidewalk by physical therapy.

These are pictures most cruise ship tourists never get to take.

Happy bear scat hunting to all of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home