Ramblings from a former Alaskan

The occasional ramblings, thoughts, rants, etc., from an independent who has lived all over the country.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Furniture

While I was in Homer, I called to see how much it would cost to move my furniture back. I was given one price. It was doable.

I called the Juneau office today. The price changed by a few hundred dollars. It's no longer doable. I will end up buying it all over again.

I know if I do a quick sale in Juneau, I'll only get pennies on the dollar.

I think my best bet is to donate it. That way I at least get the benefit of a tax write off.

I hate to lose the furniture, but I'm not going to pay as much to get it to Homer as I paid for it.

I'm also not going to let it go for pennies on the dollar. I was offered fifty bucks for an $800.00 mattress and box springs. Nope. I would have let it go pretty cheaply, but not that cheap.

This is kind of deja vuish to me. When we left Ketchikan ten years ago, we basically lost everything. We went to south central Alaska and started over. We did pretty good for several years. No, we did damned good for several years.

We replaced and even added. In the ten years we replaced what we had to leave in Ketchikan, plus we now own, free and clear, our own place.

It would have been really nice to have kept the brand new furniture.

But the reality is...I know I can replace it when I get home.

It's not a big deal. Just a little sad. I would have liked to have kept it as one more good thing from Juneau. Hey, I'll take my almost new car back with me. And the most important thing I'll take back with me is my new peace of mind. That is worth more than any piece of furniture or vehicle.

It does make the packing a lot easier though.

Now all I need is to know my work schedule for my remaining time here. It would be nice to know when my days off are, so I'll know how to budget my time.

Because I really do need to start packing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home