Ramblings from a former Alaskan

The occasional ramblings, thoughts, rants, etc., from an independent who has lived all over the country.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A brand new year

Yes, 2008 is finally here.

It's a brand new year. One we can coast through, or one where we can work to make it the type of year we've always dreamed we'd live.

This is the year I want to mold the events in my life as much as possible.

How do I plan to do this? Glad you asked.

I'm very, very lucky. Years ago when I made the choice to go back to school I picked a field that is in high demand today. It wasn't by luck either. I'd met too many degreed people doing minimum wage jobs in my life. The last thing I wanted was the responsibility of student loans and a career that didn't have openings. I researched the careers that interested me the most. I looked at the job market that was available at the time and the predicted job market.

Since the medical field had always interested me, it was a perfect fit.

Today I have many options available in my chosen career.

Since we want to relocate, but we're not sure what part of the country we want to call home, signing up with a temp agency that supplies qualified techs to hospitals with a staffing crunch seems like a logical choice. That way I can work in several spots each year. We can learn about different areas of the country and try the areas out before we make a commitment (buy a house).

Today is the day we put our place on the market.

Later this week, or next week, we'll go into town and start the process of obtaining our passports so we can travel through Canada. I do miss the days when they weren't required to get from the 49th state to one of the lower 48 states.

This is the year that Roger and I will reconnect with family and friends that we haven't seen in over a decade.

So with all that going on, why let the constant snow bug me?

I don't know what Roger dreams about, but I'm dreaming of lilac bushes and dogwood in bloom.

If you're a transplant, what are some of the things that you miss from your former homes?

4 Comments:

At 2:20 PM , Blogger Satima Flavell said...

What an exciting crossroads you're at, Jo! Ah, yes, lilacs and dogwoods. You have taken me back to the time I spent in WV in the mid-90s. We don't have dogwoods here in the Land of Oz. Nor do we have cardinals or bluebirds. Isn't it amazing how places get under our skins? I expect you will miss some things about Alaska, too, once you move back to the 48.

You were very sensible, doing some market research before undertaking a degree. Me, I just did stuff that interested me and none of it will get me a job. What's more,, the money I owe on fees goes up in line with the cost of living, so from owing the government about $3,500 I've gone to owing them over $8,000 since I graduated fifteen years ago. At least there's no interest and I don't have to pay it back unless I earn over $28,000 a year - but since I did such a useless degree there's little chance of that ever happening!

 
At 11:09 PM , Blogger Marilyn Z. Tomlins said...

I do hope that it all works out for you. Must say, I envy you having such "firm" plans. I am a ditherer; I can't even decide whether to buy a new living room suite, not even to speak of such a huge decision as moving home.

Then, I am also a "transplant" and you asked what we miss about the place we come from. I will have to think about that one ... Paris, where I live now, has everything and then still some more ...

Marilyn

 
At 6:50 AM , Blogger Jo said...

I am definitely a transplant and have missed mostly food items from the UK since I left 32 years ago. However, I also lived 12 years in NC and so I do miss the dogwoods in spring and the plethora of birds we always had in our yard. Hope your bugs all gone now, I can identify with you after my buggy visitation. Best of luck in selling your house, big job moving, I always swear I will never do it again every time I move.

 
At 5:06 PM , Blogger Silly Yak Tales said...

You are so brave Jody, I could not stand all that moving about. I only like to move about when I am visiting places, not living in them. Then again it is a wise thing you do if it doesn't drive you nuts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home